Haitian President and the Prime minister of the Bahamas held work meeting on the sidelines of the 29th Inter-sessional meeting of CARICOM Heads of State and Government
Posted by hougansydney.com on Monday, February 26, 2018 Under: Diplomacy
Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis, left, presents a gift to Haitian President Jovenel Moise
This Sunday, February 25, 2018 was held at the National Palace in Haiti a high-level meeting between the Haitian President Jovenel Moise and Dr. Hubert Minnis, Prime Minister of the Commonwealth of the Bahamas, on the sidelines of the 29th Inter-Sessional Meeting of the Conference of Heads of State and Government of the Caribbean Community, taking place in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, on February 26 and 27, 2018.
The discussions focused on the implementation of the three agreements between the Governments of the Bahamas and the Republic of Haiti signed in Nassau on July 29, 2014, namely:
• Bilateral Framework Cooperation Agreement;
• Trade and technical cooperation agreement in the field of quality control of agricultural products and exportable fisheries; and
• Agreement on the Promotion and Protection of Investments;
The two Heads of State and Government have:
1. addressed issues of common interest and reaffirmed their determination to strengthen bilateral relations and mutual cooperation for the development of the two (2) peoples;
2. noted the excellent relations between the two countries, which have always been marked by fraternity, friendship and solidarity, and reaffirmed their determination to make every effort to strengthen and further develop them;
3. Expressed their determination to cope with the migratory situation and to undertake joint initiatives that could contribute to reducing the flow of migration to the Bahamas;
4. Committed to finding effective solutions to solve the problem of identifying Haitian nationals in the Bahamas and, as such, the Republic of Haiti will install a service of Reception and Delivery of identity documents to the Embassy of Haiti in Nassau;
5. Underlined the need to create economic, trade and investment opportunities between the private sectors in Haiti and the Bahamas, particularly in the north and north-west region of Haiti;
6. Expressed their desire to strengthen commercial links for the purchase and sale of agricultural products and fishery products between the two countries in accordance with international quality control standards;
7. underlined the need to develop a maritime agreement between the two countries for border control and to encourage closer cooperation between national, regional and international law enforcement agencies to combat illegal immigration trafficking in illegal products, illegal migration and transnational organized crime including information sharing;
8. Affirmed their desire to develop cultural and sports cooperation by encouraging in their respective countries the establishment of links between cultural, academic and other institutions, for a better knowledge of their respective cultures through exhibitions, music and dance exchanges and other forms of culture and art, and exchanges between institutions and sports groups;
9. expressed their determination to cooperate in the field of tourism through the exchange of information and experiences and training.
This joint communiqué was made in Port-au-Prince, capital of the Republic of Haiti, on February 25, 2018, in duplicate, in the English and French languages, both texts being equally authentic.
In : Diplomacy